Vehicle Licensing and Registration
11.3 No Highlighting Pens
Do not use highlighting pens on any registration
forms being submitted to the DMV. Your application will
not be processed, and it will be returned.
Other Transfer Requirements
Transferee (Dealer) must mail or deliver to
DMV the endorsed certificate of ownership (except in out-of-state
sale situations) along with:
The proper transfer fee;
- An application for transfer of registration. [V.C. §5600]
An odometer mileage statement must be provided
by the transferor or person in physical possession of the vehicle [V.C.
§5900]. On a complying title, the buyer must handprint his/her
name and sign acknowledging the odometer mileage being reported. On
a non-complying title, enter the odometer reading on the REG 262 form.
See also the section on Odometers later in this book.
- Smog certificate (or electronic transfer) [V.C. §4000.1]
- Report of Sale - Used vehicle form for filing by dealer
- Other supporting documents - where applicable.
- Vehicle/Vessel Transfer Form, Reg. 262.
- Contains power of attorney, odometer disclosure,
and bill of sale
- Note: The Dealer must also remit the sales and use taxes to
the Board of Equalization.