Class Material


Return To Index


Section 11

Vehicle Licensing and Registration

11.8 Out-of-Country Sales

  1. When the dealer sells a vehicle for export to another country the selling dealer must complete one of the following forms:
    1. The Used Vehicle Report of Sale, REG 51, for sales to retail buyers, or
    2. The Wholesale Report of Sale, REG 396, if the sale is wholesale transaction with a dealer from another country.
  1. The dealer must mark the Application for Registration, or the Report of Sale “For export to another country.”
  2. Do not attach the buyer’s copy of the Report of Sale to the vehicle. All copies, except the dealer copy, shall be sent to the DMV at this address:

    Department of Motor Vehicles
    Incoming Mail, M/S A235
    P.O. Box 944292
    Sacramento, CA 94244-2920

  3. The dealer must also complete a Statement of Facts (REG 256) explaining how the vehicle was moved. The vehicle must be moved by a One Trip Permit (REG 402) to avoid registration fees, unless the sale is completed after the vehicle was delivered. In that case the vehicle can be delivered with a dealer plate.
  4. The dealer must remove the plates on the vehicle and turn them into the DMV. [V.C. §11725 (a)]
  5. To make certain you are complying with the Board of Equalization requirements, you may want to obtain the BOE’s “Sales to Purchaser’s From Mexico publication. It can be downloaded at www.boe.ca.gov, or can be obtained by calling the BOE’s information center at 800-400-7115.

Previous Section     Next Section