Main and Branch Location Requirements
- Both wholesale and retail dealers must have an office at
their established place of business to engage in dealership
activities. V.C. 11713(f )
- The construction of the office of the principal place of business
and each branch location must not be temporary, transitory or mobile
in nature. [C.C.R. §270]
- Exception: A trailer coach office is okay if not part of
inventory and not subject to sale. [C.C.R. §270]
- An office in a home or residential unit is okay
if approved by the zoning dept., and if the office is on the ground
floor, with a direct entrance from the outside.
- The office must be occupied continuously or at regular periods.
A sign with your regular office hours on it that can be seen
from outside will work.
- Practically speaking, a functioning office includes, but is not
limited to, a desk or table, filing cabinet, and phone (cell phone is
- The books and records of the business must be kept at the
office of the established place of business for four years.
[V.C. §320]]. The Report of Sale forms may be inspected at anytime
during your regular business hours by a DMV Inspector.