Class Material


Return To Index


Section 26

Frequently Asked Questions (F.A.Q.)

26.12 Vehicles with Unavailable Records

  1. Vehicles not registered within the four year file record of the DMV, and which no longer appear on the DVM’s database, or referred to as “Unavailable Records”. This refers only to in state vehicles, and not for vehicles located outside California. These vehicles are registered as follows:
    1. If no Title, or only a copy of the old registration card is available, then submit the following:
      1. Photocopy of the reg. card
      2. Completed Application for Title or Registration (REG 343/31) ). To obtain a REG 343 click here: http://www.dmv.ca.gov/forms/reg/reg343.htm .
      3. Vehicle Verification
      4. Statement of Facts, REG 256, Part J)
      5. The other, standard, California transfer documents.
      6. Car collectors may be able to retain the old license plates originally assigned to vehicle if they submit a photo copy of the old registration for the vehicle with the plate number on it
    2. If there is a Title and/or an original registration card:
      1. Submit the Title, or an Application for Duplicate Title (REG 227) and the original registration card
      2. Vehicle Verification
      3. All necessary bills of sale to show a complete chain of Ownership
      4. The other, standard, California transfer documents

Previous Section     Next Section