25.5 Ordering Reports of Sale
Report of Sale and Dismantler Acquisition forms must be ordered by mailing a
completed supply order form to the department’s Occupational Licensing (OL)
Section in headquarters. OL technicians will no longer be able to take
orders by telephone.
The following OL supply order forms are available on DMV’s website at
- OL395A—Vehicle Auction Wholesale Report of Sale, REG 398 Order Form
- OL 395D—Dismantler Acquisition, REG 42 Order Form
- OL395M—Application for Registration of Multiple New Vehicles, REG 397A Order
- OL395N—New Report of Sale, REG 397 Order Form
- OL395U—Used Report of Sale, REG 51 Order Form
Only the new electronic version of these forms will be accepted. All
previous versions must be recycled or destroyed.
To order Report of Sale and Dismantler Acquisition forms:
Receipt of orders:
- The forms are shipped via courier service from the DMV Supply Warehouse
and will take six to eight weeks for delivery. Make sure to
- The order will not be delivered unless someone is available
to sign for and receive the shipment. The courier service will make three
attempts to deliver before the shipment is returned to the supply warehouse.
- A six month supply of all crucial forms should be kept on hand to avert
- Local Inspector Offices will only provide a minimal quantity of forms based
on an emergency circumstance. A properly completed order form must be presented
at the time the forms are requested.
25.5 .1 Revised Reports of Sale
The REG 51 was revised at the end of 2008 to include the statement: “Vehicles must have two license plates affixed (except motorcycle and trailers). If one or both
license plates or the registration sticker is missing, refer to the Handbook of Registration Procedures, available at www.dmv.ca.gov for instructions
on obtaining replacement license plates or registration sticker.” The direct link for the Handbook is Registration Procedures
The reason for the new forms is to reduce customer complaints by having dealers obtain replacement license plates and stickers for their customers.
Continue to use any remaining prior version REG 51 forms that you have. New orders will be filled with the updated forms.