1965 Brabham BT-16
This BT-16 was first raced at the Nurburgring in 1965 as an F2 with a Cosworth SCA engine. In 1966, the car was shipped from Paris, France to Philip H. Groggins, its new owner, in Schenectady, New York.
In the U.S., the Cosworth SCA engine was replaced with a Lotus twin cam 1600 c.c. and the BT-16 was campaigned as a Formula B car. In the early 1970’s the car was purchased by it current owner, who has raced and maintained it for the past three decades.
In 1991, the BT-16 received a full restoration. It has been raced only five times since the restoration. The current Lotus twin cam and Hewland Mk. IV gearbox have only two races on them. The car was driven most recently in April of this year. It is in very good condition, and is ready to go.
The BT-16 is still in its late 1960’s Formula B configuration. It has 7 X13 inch front, and 9X13 inch rear wheels shod with new Avon tires.
The BT-16 is powered by a 185 h.p. Lotus twin cam engine with 45 DCOE Weber carburetors. Power is transmitted to the wheels through a Hewland Mk. IV, four speed, gearbox. Both engine and gearbox have only two races on them.
The car comes with full FIA papers, historical records, receipts, and some miscellaneous suspension bits.
Chassis Number: F2-17-65, AM49
Engine Number: LP 5356 LB-A