1990 Reynard 90D Formula Holden
Australia Race History, Extensive Spares, Price just Reduced!
Sold, March 2021
Formula 3000 was the final stepping stone to F1 in the 1990s having replaced Formula 2, with Reynard being a formidable force in the series up to the mid-1990s. As the series progressed and with new rules introducing a standardized single-engine and chassis, many of the Formula 3000 cars saw continued use in Formula Nippon in Japan and Formula Holden in Australia.
While the Formula Nippon retained the use of a modified V8 powerplant producing about 450 h.p., the Formula Holden series utilized a Buick V6 with approximately 320 h.p. with similar torque to the high revving V8 engines of its heritage. The primary reason for the engine swap was to keep the running costs much lower than the more powerful V8s.
This Reynard 90D-019 was actively raced in Australia and is understood to be one of the first two carbon cars brought into Australia from the F3000 series for the Formula Holden series. Peter Boylan bought two 90D’s into Australia and this one was sold to and raced by Steve Cramp for a few rounds in 1992. It then went to Allan Galloway in 1993. Was then sold to Albert Callagher & raced by him from approximately 1994 to 1997. Darren Pate had a one-off in it in 1996 at Calder Raceway.
Chassis #019 is in very good running shape. It was run on 2 different test days and in 3 HSR race weekends with a total of approximately 4 hours of engine time by the current owner, and another 3 race weekends by the previous owner for a total of fewer than 10 hours run time. Comprent Motorsports went through the gearbox and replaced dog rings, two gear sets, etc. They also rebuilt the shift linkage. The motor has run perfectly every time out with no issues at all. Overall paint is in good condition, with a few of the normal rock chips and race patina on leading edges from being on track. Other details below:
- Ex European Formula 3000 chassis that is currently in Australian Formula Holden configuration
- 3800cc Holden V6 engine; appx 350hp
- Engine by Adkins Racing in Indianapolis, IN
- 5-6 weekends & less than 10 hours total on engine
- 6 into 1 exhaust
- Reynard transverse 5-speed transmission using Hewland FT200 internals
- Recently refreshed w/rebuilt shift linkage & fresh gears & dog rings by Comprent Motorsports
- Integrated oil tank, catch-tank & gear oil pump
- Hewland power flow limited slip diff
- Proper 22-22 bevel gear ratio fitted to accommodate higher torque levels of Holden engine
- Carbon/Kevlar/aluminum honeycomb monocoque chassis
Fully adjustable double element front & triple element rear wings
- Full rear diffuser
- Koni 1600 front & Koni 1602 rear coil-over shocks
- Double wishbone front & rear pushrod suspension w/ front & rear anti-roll bars
- Steel fabricated front & rear uprights w/allow hubs
- AP 4-piston aluminum calipers w/vented steel rotors & aluminum rotor hats
- Dual brake master cylinders & cockpit adjustable brake bias
- Tilton triple disc carbon clutch w/annular slave cylinder
Reynard aero cast magnesium front & Technomagnesio rear wheels
- Twin sidepod mounted aluminum radiators & sidepod mounted oil cooler
- Cockpit mounted 12v battery
- Appx. 1315lbs with all fluids but no fuel
- HSR & SCCA Logbooks
The car is currently in the process of getting ready for next season with new updated belts (6-point formula car harness), new Fire Extinguisher system, a sticker set of new mounted Avon radial slick tires and is ready to race. The car comes with an extensive spares package listed below:
- (1) Rear quick jack
- (2) Sets of OZ wheels with mounted tires (1 old, 1 new set on the car)
- (3) Rear rims
- (9) Front rims
- (2) Gearbox housings
- (5) Radiators
- Misc. radiator screens
- (2) Front lower wishbones
- (1) Front upper wishbone
- (2) Rear lower wishbones
- (1) Rear upper wishbone
- (3) Rear push rods
- (3) Front push rods
- (2) Front steering toe-links
- (2) Rear toe-links
- (3) Axles
- (1) Pedal set up
- (1) Box of misc. parts; dash, fuel system parts, oil catch cans, etc.
- (1) Box of hoses and fittings, etc.
- (2) Boxes of transmission parts, gears, bearings, shafts, etc.
- (1) Box of motor parts
- (1) Box of uprights (5), rotor hat / spindles (5), etc.
- (1) Box of axle parts
- (1) Box of electronics including 1 main computer box
- (1) Box of muffler parts
- Body and Wing Parts
- (2) Rear wing end plates
- (2) Front main elements (1 is new)
- (1) Rear main element
- (4) Front winglets plus 3 new winglets
- (6) Front end plates plus 2 new end plates
- (2) New rear upper elements
- Other assorted new wing parts
- (1) Front nose cone
- (2) Engine covers
- (1) Right side pod
- (2) Left side pods
The car is currently located in Pine Mountain Georgia. This is a fun, fast, reliable car and a great bang for the buck! Durable engine with low rebuild costs.
(c) 1996-2021, Motorsports Market. All Rights Reserved.